Nearby Local Attractions
Weaver Creek Spawning Channels Pre-contact fish weirs still mark traditional use areas, archaeological remains prove that salmon has been key in the diet for thousands of years. Fish stories are throughout the cultural and oral traditions of the Sts’ailes. Salmon return to Weaver Creek, located near Harrison Mills, and home to the Weaver Creek Spawning Channel, one of BC’s original salmon enhancement areas dating back to 1885. Watch for sockeye, pink and chum salmon. The best time for salmon viewing is late September to early December.
- Chehalis River Hatchery is a salmonid enhancement facility operated by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (Government of Canada) near Harrison Mills in the province of British Columbia in Canada. We use modern fish culture techniques to produce coho salmon, chinook salmon, chum salmon, pink salmon, steelhead trout, and sea-run cutthroat trout. The juvenile fish are reared for two months to one year (depending on the species) at the hatchery and then released into the Chehalis River and the Harrison River. The juveniles then migrate to the Fraser River and out to the Pacific Ocean. The fish grow in the ocean from a few months up to four or five years. Those that have not been caught in various commercial and sport fisheries then return to the Chehalis River, the Harrison River, and the hatchery to spawn. www.chehalis-hatchery.shawbiz.ca/Chehalis_hatchery.htm
- Sandpiper is an outstanding resort-style 18-hole golf course that is gently
sloped and features four sets of tees for all playing abilities.
Heralded as one of British Columbia’s best resort courses and voted the
#1 golf course in the Fraser Valley, Sandpiper is set along the
blue-green waters of the Harrison River.
- The River's Edge Restaurant offers a relaxing atmosphere, serving contemporary West Coast cuisine for both golfers and visitors to the Sandpiper Golf Resort and Rowena's Inn on the River. The outdoor patio is the perfect place to relax before or after a round of golf.
- Step back in time and enjoy a leisurely tour of the Kilby Historic Site with its magnificent 1906 General Store Museum. Visitors will view a
fascinating gallery of product packaging dating back to the 1920s and
1930s. Don't miss the intriguing artifacts in the heritage Post Office
and Manchester House Hotel; both were an integral part of the Harrison
Mills community at the turn of the twentieth century.
- Tucked away high above Harrison Lake, Hemlock Resort is a quaint alpine community comprised of log cabins, town houses,
condominiums and a day lodge. Hemlock is an intermediate mountain -- 60
percent of the 34 trails are rated intermediate, with the balance
divided equally between beginner and expert -- covering 250 acres of
skiable terrain. Three chairlifts and a handle tow quickly take skiers
and snowboarders to nicely groomed runs and open bowls. Nordic skiers
are not forgotten at Hemlock. Cross-country trails have been improved
and the facilities expanded recently.
- Minter Gardens is ever evolving, and each season offers a dramatic view. Close to
100,000 tulips, imported from Holland, welcome visitors each spring.
More than 1000 rhododendrons provide riotous colour amid huge cedar
trees and rock wall terraces. Summer brings masses of annual colour
adorning topiary features and beds, along with the traditional blooms of
the Rose Garden, and the cool, quiet woodlands that surround gurgling
brooks and waterfalls. The Gardens are at once a kaleidoscope of colour,
a place of serene beauty, and a gardener’s source of inspiration.
against Southwestern British Columbia's magnificent mountains and the
sandy beaches of Harrison Lake, Harrison Village is your local vacation
destination filled with a rich history and natural wonders including
world famous hot springs, make Harrison Hot Springs the perfect place to escape the hectic pace and rejuvenate your body, mind and soul.
- West Coast Express operates on 65 km of Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) track between Mission and downtown Vancouver (Gastown). www.westcoastexpress.com
- Herman's Hikes will take you to many breathe taking trails and experience part of beautiful BC! Click the following link to see a schedule of August's hikes or Read an account of one of the trails. www.tourismharrison.com